Monday, January 10, 2011

What's in a Title?

I've started work again, in the building next to the old one, with a team comprised largely of people I've worked with before, doing more or less the exact thing I was doing at the previous company.  Funny the way things work out sometimes.

My new contract listed my position as an 'audio engineer', instead of a 'sound designer' as I've always called myself.  While I was job hunting around various studios, I saw both titles turn up in almost equal measure.  Some of the 'audio engineer' listings were, of course, advertising for DSP engineers and sound programmers, but just as many seemed to cover sound design with no programming requirements whatsoever.

What then, is the difference between these two titles?  Is one purely concerned with asset creation, and the other purely concerned with implementation?  This makes the most sense, but in the games industry I'm not sure if any one role should exclude the other.  (And indeed, many companies only employ one soundie, so the separation of roles is impossible.) Will this splitting of syntax cause confusion in the industry in the future?

Or possibly I'm overthinking matters, and in terms of job listings 'sound' and 'designer' are both such common words that it makes looking through sub-par search engines onerous at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment